Inside the Nonprofit Boardroom
What You Need to Know for Satisfaction and Success
- PUBLISHED: April 2009
- BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION: 104 Pages, 6 x 9 in
- ISBN: 9780295989327
- Publisher: Apex Foundation
Nonprofit activities are the next - and possibly the most interesting - focus of the Baby Boomer Era. The United States has an estimated two million charitable organizations and this handbook is for current and future board members or trustees. Easy to read, written with a brief, sharp directness, and laced with real-life examples and illustrations, Inside the Nonprofit Boardroom fills a growing need in an entertaining format to help trustees be effective.
Why This Handbook?
1. What is a Board?
2. What is a Trustee?
3. Big Boards, Little Boards
4. Why Have a Board in the First Place?
5. Qualities of a Trustee
6. The Passionate Trustee
7. The Rewards
8. What Does a Board Do?
9. What Does a Trustee Do?
10. The Keys to Success
11. Money and People
12. What the Board Needs to Know
13. How Meetings Work
14. A Crash Course in Committees
15. Spreading the Word
16. A Snapshot of the Ideal Board
17. The Truth About Trustee Elections
18. Tenure: How Long is Long Enough?
19. How to Get on a Board
20. How to Leave a Board
21. Have Fun
23. The Changing Relationship Between the CEO and the Board
24. Board Size, Structure, and Composition
25. Deploy Your Assets
26. Accountability and Finances
27. Risk Management
28. Raising the Bar with Sarbanes-Oxley
29. Taking on Debt
30. The Uniform Prudent Investor Act
31. Avoid Self-Dealing
32. Succession Plans
34. Simple Tips for More Effective Meetings
35. Board Executive Sessions
36. The Board Executive Committee
37. Trustee Voting and the Chief Executive
38. Chief Executive and Board Performance Indicators
This gem of a manual is a fun, quick read at just over 100 pages. . . . [It] should be assigned reading for most Grange officers and for those serving on the board of any other nonprofit organization. Its modest cost ($15.95) erases all excuses for board members not knowing what they are doing!- Washington State Grange News
The difference between your success and failure as a trustee and perhaps that of the organization you care for could rest within the pages of this easy-to-read book.- Bruce and Jolene McCaw, McCaw Family Foundation
This book provides more useful wisdom and insight with less jargon and fluff than any other of its kind.- Dr. Charles Maccormack, Save the Children
Hurrah! At last a clear, accessible layperson's guide to nonprofit board membership. It's a gem.- Marjorie J. Sharp, Toronto Community Foundation