Trouble in the Triangle
Opium and the Conflict in Burma
- PUBLISHED: October 2005
- SUBJECT LISTING: Asian Studies
- BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION: 248 Pages, Trim size data not found for this book.
- ISBN: 9789749575895
This collection of essays discusses issues on international engagement with Burma through the prism of drug policy. Essays analyze the relationship between drugs and conflict in Burma, the consequences of Burma’s illicit drug production for neighboring countries, and place Burma in the international context of the global drug trade, drawing parallels with Afghanistan and Colombia. The collection takes an in-depth look at the long and dramatic history of drugs, armed conflict, ethnic strife, and cease-fire agreements in Burma and presents recommendations for a humane and effective response from the international community.
Authors & Contributors
Martin Jelsma is a fellow of the Transnational Institute, an international research organization based in Amsterdam. Tom Kramer is a political scientist specializing in ethnic minority politics and civil society in Burma. Other contributors include Adrian Cowell, Chao Tzang Yawnghwe, Jeremy Milsom, Don Pathan, Guilhem Fabre, Soe Myint, Alain Labrousse, and Ricardo Vargas M.
I. Local Perspectives
1. Opium Anarchy in the Shan State of Burma / Adrian Cowell
2. Shan State Politics: The Opium-Heroin Factor / Chao Tzang Yawnghwe
3. Ethnic Conflict and Dilemmas for International Engagement / Tom Kramer
4. The Long Hard Road Out of Drugs: The Case of the Wa / Jeremy Milsom
Appendix to Part I
A View from Below: Two Opium Farmers in Their Own Words
II. Regional Perspectives
5. Thailand's War on Drugs / Don Pathan
6. The Black Hole of "China White" / Guilhem Fabre
7. Illicit Narcotics on the Indo-Burmese Border and India's Role in Combating Drug Smuggling / Soe Myint
III. Global Perspectives
8. Burma in the Global Drug Market
9. Drugs: The Major Obstacles to Afghan Reconstruction? / Alain Labrousse
10. Drugs and Armed Conflict in Colombia / Ricardo Vargas M.
List of Acronyms
List of Contributors